- [May 2022] To promote food systems as an area of focus for the Indonesia G20 presidency, UNEP and IPB submitted a G20 policy brief called ‘A G20 Action Plan to make the economic case for nature-positive food systems through the application of True Value Accounting’ to the G20 official engagement group called Think 20.
- [February 2022] TEEBAgriFood Indonesia was launched at the subnational level in Sulawesi.
- [December 2021] Over 100 agri-food representatives in Indonesia have demonstrated understanding that - with nature on their ‘balance sheet’ - they are more likely to thrive in future scenarios. Two agri-Business roundtables and six training sessions paved the way for agri-business to measure and manage not just their impacts on financial capital (ie. shareholders), but also their impacts and dependencies on natural capital and the society at large.
- [October 2021] TEEBAgriFood Indonesia was presented and applied in a case study group work exercise for a training workshop on “Embedding True Cost Accounting in policy-making processes” with participants from 10 countries, including Angola, Benin, Bhutan, Nepal, Senegal and Sri Lanka.
- [September 2021] IPB Bogor University shared advances on i) policy scoping, ii) biophysical data availability and gap-filling, and iii) methodologies to be applied for a TEEBAgriFood Framework application.
- [June 2021] Expert workshop to refine the policy scope. Policy question discussed: How can managed expansion and intensification of cocoa agroforestry landscapes in areas close to existing forests and settlements increase cocoa yield and maximize outcomes for natural, human and social capital?
- [June 2021] The Ministry of Planning, in its opening statements at a Food Summit Dialogue on True Cost Accounting for Food Systems, pointed at the need to value nature in food systems to deliver on many global and national priorities
- [March 2021] Interim TEEBAgriFood findings presented at International TEEBAgriFood Symposium show that nature positive food systems are not only good for the environment - they also ensure rural livelihoods. TEEBAgriFood will analyze different policy intervention pathways for cocoa agroforestry, looking at some of the trade-offs and synergies by integrating the goal of crop yields with the goals of nutrition, human health, livelihoods and planetary health.
- [January 2020] Interim TEEBAgriFood findings contributed to the inclusion of agroforestry – for the first time - in Indonesia’s mid-term National Development Plan.
Scope of work
The Ministry of National Development Planning (BAPPENAS) requested science-based policy advice for food system policies that reward responsible stewardship of natural, human, social and produced capital. Expected outcomes include:
- Enable the inclusion of science-based agroforestry goals in the mid-term National Development plan
- Transpose the cacoa and agroforestry goals of the National Development Plan into regulations that internalize natural capital dimensions in its design. This includes national cross-sectoral regulations and subnational land-use planning policies in South Sulawesi.
Publications and resources
- T20 Abstract for a G20 Action Plan: making the economic case for nature-positive food systems through the application of True Value Accounting (February 2022)
- TEEBAgriFood Indonesia inputs to Food Systems National Pathway implementation Indonesia (January 2022)
- Cacao agroforestry – a rapid assessment - input to Indonesia’s mid-term National Development Plan (November 2019)
- Country Fact Sheet
Interim working papers:
- TEEBAgriFood Evaluation Framework Table (October 2021)
- Technical document on methodologies and models to be applied (September 2021)
- Assessment of biophysical data availability and gap-filling (September 2021)
- Scope finalization and scenario development options (September 2021)
- Causal loop diagram (August 2021)
- Preliminary background review of agriculture and biodiversity in Indonesia (2019)
Read more about work being led by the Capitals Coalition, with IBCSD in the lead in Indonesia, to develop new guidance for agri-business, develop capacity-building and build a growing “True Value of Food’ business coalition in Indonesia.
TEEBAgriFood Operational Guidelines for business in Bahasa
Registration link Indonesia True Value of Food business hub
Country-level business activity reporting:
- Recording Business Roundtable Day 1 – Day 2 Webinar (12 March 2020)
- Report Business Roundtable
- Recording training session 1 (June 2021)
- Recording training session 2 (July 2021)
- Recording training session 3 (September 2021)
- Recording training session 4 (September 2021)
- Recording training session 5 (September 2021)
Events and meetings
- International workshop: Embedding true cost accounting in policy making processes – presentation Indonesia (October 2021)
- National Stakeholder workshop report (May 2021)
- TEEBAgriFood Regional Symposium – presentation Indonesia (March 2021)
- 1st national workshop (Jakarta, July 2019)
- TEEBAgriFood Global Symposium (Nairobi, February 2019)