Promoting a sustainable agriculture and food sector
Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico & Thailand
Objective: To make nature's values for food and farming visible and promote change towards a sustainable food system that safeguards biodiversity and ecosystem services.
Engaging with business in the agri-food sector: The Capitals Coalition, in partnership with TEEB, is leading the project component on business engagement (activity 4 below). Read more.
- SCOPING: To document and learn lessons by considering: i) opportunities for change; ii) range of stakeholders; and iii) a preliminary assessment of policy interventions.
- POLICY MAPPING: To identify policies that directly target the agri-food sector or indirectly affect it, as well as the governance and institutional arrangements behind those policies.
- PILOT PROJECTS: To determine and refine pilot projects to be used for scenarios of policy interventions.
- BUSINESS ENGAGEMENT: : In collaboration with the Capitals Coalition, to understand the costs and benefits of including natural capital and biodiversity assessments in corporate decision-making.
- SCENARIO ANALYSIS: To make the case for change by analyzing policy scenario(s) against business-as-usual, using the TEEBAgriFood Evaluation Framework to guide the modeling and valuation of impacts across capitals and across value chains.
- ROADMAP FOR CHANGE: To identify the agents and drivers of change as well as assess risks in order to build and plan concrete steps for implementation.
- IMPLEMENTATION: To carry out the roadmap of concrete steps to implement a change in an adaptive and sustainable manner.
- COMMUNICATIONS AND OUTREACH: To improve the understanding and knowledge about the values of biodiversity and ecosystem services to achieve resilient, secure supply from the agri-food sector, and more tangibly, use the data and methods toward project objectives.